We're continuing the Million Metres legacy on Saturday, 13 May 2017!
The original Million Metres for MND Ride was held in May 2013 when Scott Sullivan and Ian Davis - both living with MND - rode a specially designed tandem bicycle from Brisbane to Sydney over 16 days. This two-man mission captured the hearts of the communities along the route and Scott and Ian were able to raise over $60,000 for MND research!While Scott lost his battle with MND in April 2014, his legacy is well and truly alive.
Why be part of the 'Million Metres for MND Ride' from Brisbane to Byron Bay? This is your opportunity to help us honour and celebrate such a remarkable achievement. You will be raising much needed MND awareness and importantly, funds to find a cure.Join our MND team as we ride from Brisbane to Byron Bay on Saturday, 13 May.
Ride options and details
1. Yatala Pie Shop to Stone & Wood Brewery (Byron Bay) via Tomewin Road and Murwillumbah - 170km. For experienced riders only.
2. Yatala Pie Shop to Stone & Wood Brewery (Byron Bay) via Tweed Heads and Kingscliff - 150km
- Lunch will be available at Pottsville
- Event is capped at 100 riders
- Start time for both rides - 7.00am
- Registration Fee is $199.00
- Ride cycling kit (jersey, knicks and socks)
- Comprehensive peloton support
- Plenty of FUN, challenge and inspiration
- Police escort (in Qld only)
- Ice cold Stone & Wood to finish the ride!
How does the Million Metres for MND Ride 2017 operate?
Our aim is to treat you like a Peloton Pro
- You will be riding in a peloton environment with a maximum of 50 riders per peloton
- Peloton will stay together as a group for the length of the ride
- Each peloton will be 'graded' - depending on the average speed and experience of the group
- Peloton average speeds (1 = > 28 kmph and 2 = < 23 kmph)
- Each peloton has support vehicles, bike mechanic and first aid officer
- Route covers some seriously beautiful countryside - keeping off main roads as much as possible.
There is an expectation that all riders will actively fundraise as a condition of entry. While MND and Me Foundation has not placed a minimum fundraising requirement, it is hoped each rider can raise in excess of $500 from their individual networks. All we ask is that you give it your best shot!
The Sun Bistro is just around the corner from the Stone & Wood Brewery – 61 Bayshore Drive, Byron Bay NSW 2481. This move unfortunately means showers will not be available post ride – so bring your deodorant!
The welcome party will kick off at 2.00pm and there will be multiple musicians entertaining us throughout the afternoon and evening.
Stone & Wood has made sure the place will look fantastic with umbrellas, crates, picnic rugs and bell tents. There is also a playground for children.
Contact MND and Me Foundation to learn more about the ride, or if you'd like to volunteer to assist the rides in any way. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 07 3394 5333 .